#1 Lee Adler

Lee Adler

Editor and Publisher

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234,221 posts
  • Interests:This website. What else? :lol:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I wasn't planning on watching the Armstrong confession, but Danielle wanted to and I thought I'd find it interesting to watch the great master at work.

Let me confess first that I have always admired Oprah, and sometimes watched her show for a few minutes here and there.

She did not become the greatest interviewer in the world by accident (note that Armstrong did not seek to appear with Katie, or Barbara, or Charley Rose). She's a genius. Her facial reactions to some of Armstrong's responses told all.

I guess that Armstrong thought that doing an Oprah interview could start his rehab. But instead he just revealed himself again and again to be the self serving, narcissistic punk that he is. He made himself look bad, and Oprah was brilliant and skillful in providing the easy paths for him to do so.

Watching Winfrey turn the initially failing OWN into a profitable network is fascinating. She's everywhere, all the time. We've had the opportunity to watch her build a media and philanthropic empire on a day to day basis since we were kids. My takeaway is that It may be rare, but it is possible to become a billionaire from nothing, the right way. The heart must be in the right place to start. Then just add genius, superhuman energy, and a gregarious, people loving personality.

What I felt I saw last night was a great work of art by the master of the genre.

#2 HYPERTlGER

HYPERTlGER

Grizzly Bear

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Of course you can go from rags to riches...If you couldn't no one would support the system as much as the they do.

#3 Calvin Bear

Calvin Bear

Grizzly Bear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Interests:Food. Clothes. Security safes and vault boxes. Ambient music. Ideas. Sin.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

Inasmuch as I hate to say this, Lee, but... I tried to watch that interview late at night over here, and accidentally went to Charlie Sheen being interviewed by Piers Morgan.

I skipped back during the ads to see pretty much what you and I guess just about everyone in the world saw re Armstrong.

However... "Genius, superhuman energy, and a gregarious, people loving personality." Charlie Sheen is about to become a billionaire, albeit he claims to have been and more or less still is, totally broke. He, at least, is still reasonably funny, and is quite happy to attribute his poverty to drugs.

Armstrong was appalling. By strong contrast.

CJB

#4 Lee Adler

Lee Adler

Editor and Publisher

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234,221 posts
  • Interests:This website. What else? :lol:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Sheen a billionaire? Surprise to me, but lots and lots of bad people become billionaires. That's just par for the course, and does not change the point I was making, that it is possible for it to be done the right way, with those attributes. Charlie Sheen would be typical of the more common "bad billionaire." But he must be a very shrewd businessman to have accumulated a billion from a role in a TV comedy and a handful of big movies.

#5 JonLaw

JonLaw

Grizzly Bear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Charlie Sheen's problem is part of what makes him successful.

This is similar to John Belushi and will likely end in tears for him, as well, later in life.

Armstrong, on the other hand, is a narcissistic bully, which Oprah was able to reveal.
A day late and a dollar short.

#6 HYPERTlGER

HYPERTlGER

Grizzly Bear

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Here Lee...You obviously don't get enough credit for attempting to turn negatives into positives.

3dc5ab451b.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Stock market portfolio giving you the runs? See Dr. Stool.
The Daily Stool - Stock Market Message Board
Stool's Gold- Gold and Precious Metals Forum
Look Out Below Message Board

The Al E. Greenspeuman designer line at Stoolmart. Get yours today! Click here now!
Get Mugged!