#1 Lee Adler

Lee Adler

Editor and Publisher

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234,265 posts
  • Interests:This website. What else? :lol:

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:54 PM

To the 99% of folks who already get it, sorry to be so repetitive. You can skip this.

When reposting third party material include only a snippet and a link to the source. If you are just quoting a sentence or two for the purpose of commenting you can skip the link as long as you clearly attribute the source. If at all possible, include the link.

Do not repost anything in full. That''s a clear copyright violation. Do not repost any third party material without clear attribution. That''s plagiarism and will subject the poster to loss of posting privileges. A link serves the purpose of attribution, and it''s easy include in the post.

Any posts that do not meet these guidelines will be deleted. Nothing personal. It''s just business ethics and the issue of liability to which the board owner is subject. So if you happen to forget, just repost and include the link.

#2 eswan

eswan

Brown Bear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:58 PM

Lee, what exactly constitutes a snippet?

#3 Lee Adler

Lee Adler

Editor and Publisher

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234,265 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

Usually 2-3 paragraphs. Less if the article is short, more if long. Basically, enough to set the table and get the gist of the idea, then if people people are interested in more they can click the link.

#4 Grub

Grub

Black Bear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

You can also use more text if you declare it is for educational purposes only, etc. Just make sure you attribute and linky is good too. Intellectual property is still property.

#5 Lee Adler

Lee Adler

Editor and Publisher

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234,265 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

Engineers have been unable to get the old board fixed. Apparently it is time to turn off life support.

I have launched the new board. It is definitely in beta. There will be glitches, but I expect them to be minor. We have imported the database from the old board, including all recent posts, and your membership information so if you are already a member you should be able to post immediately on the new board without registering.

Although the topic list can't be run in outline format, the default view of each thread is in outline form. You have the option to change it to standard view, which displays all the posts in their entirety in that thread. On the topic list the number of posts and the number of views is indicated.

I invite you to begin trying out the new board.

#6 Lee Adler

Lee Adler

Editor and Publisher

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234,265 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

Please inform of any bugs or problems here

Thanks

#7 Lee Adler

Lee Adler

Editor and Publisher

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234,265 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

If you are registered, click on My Controls in the top board menu to edit your board settings, including time zone, and add signatures, avatars, etc.

#8 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Butthole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Interests:bearchat

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

Great pic !! bwahahahaha
I can't help it. I was born an idiot.

#9 segestan

segestan

Black Bear

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Historian

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

Engineers have been unable to get the old board fixed. Apparently it is time to turn off life support.

I have launched the new board. It is definitely in beta. There will be glitches, but I expect them to be minor. We have imported the database from the old board, including all recent posts, and your membership information so if you are already a member you should be able to post immediately on the new board without registering.

Although the topic list can't be run in outline format, the default view of each thread is in outline form. You have the option to change it to standard view, which displays all the posts in their entirety in that thread. On the topic list the number of posts and the number of views is indicated.

I invite you to begin trying out the new board.

Wow ... nice Lee board. Had to register after seeing this nice new site for Bears Chat..

#10 segestan

segestan

Black Bear

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Historian

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

Wow ... nice board Lee. Had to register after seeing this nice new site for Bears Chat..

Hmm just getting use to the edit .. sorry.

#11 eswan

eswan

Brown Bear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

How old is the picture?

Are you related to Paul Simon?

It would be nice if the replies showed with the initial post titles.

Besides whatever else I have said or may say about it, it seems a great improvement and I sincerely appreciate your efforts to keep the board going. Hopefully it will in some way repay your efforts.

The very best of luck with it.

#12 Lee Adler

Lee Adler

Editor and Publisher

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234,265 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

No, I'm not related to Paul Simon.

Mystery guest, sign in please!

:P :P :lol:

(I know that most of you are too young to recognize that line.) ;)

#13 r2bear

r2bear

Black Bear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Surfing

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

How old is the picture?

Are you related to Paul Simon?

It would be nice if the replies showed with the initial post titles.

Besides whatever else I have said or may say about it, it seems a great improvement and I sincerely appreciate your efforts to keep the board going. Hopefully it will in some way repay your efforts.

The very best of luck with it.

This looks like a college photo of our friend, Ben

#14 AZRainman

AZRainman

Desert Polar Bear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Interests:Meteorology, logistics, psyops, game theory, co-intel, geostrategy and visual media.

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

Speaking of the hippy Ben avatar, the new favicon is great too...lol

#15 Lee Adler

Lee Adler

Editor and Publisher

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234,265 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

You mean this guy?

Posted Image

#16 AZRainman

AZRainman

Desert Polar Bear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Interests:Meteorology, logistics, psyops, game theory, co-intel, geostrategy and visual media.

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:01 PM

You mean this guy?

Yes :P

Posted Image

#17 Lee Adler

Lee Adler

Editor and Publisher

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234,265 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:23 AM

Want to catch up with the latest from your favorite posters only? Just click on their user name in the topic list, on the thread, or in the Members list, which you can access through the link at the upper right. On each member's profile is a link that will open just their posts.

Want to filter out members you want to avoid? Go to My Controls (registered users only have this feature) in the Menu at the top of the board, then Options, then Manage Ignored Users. You can set up a list, and posts from those people will not appear on your view of the board.

Please post other tips and helpful shortcuts that you have found.

#18 Thomas.

Thomas.

Grizzly Bear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:15 AM

Thanks. I'm am starting to feel the rhythm a little better. This board is like a software program in which the advantages require some learning. I think the barrier to new users will be high, so setting defaults optimally will be important. In case you missed it, I think you ought to put the "add reply" and "preview post" buttons at the bottom of this box (where the "toggle slide panel" resides) so I don't have to scroll to send this message.

#19 Thomas.

Thomas.

Grizzly Bear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:21 AM

BTW-I found that hitting the "toggle side panel" to remove all those emoticons removes a lot of clutter. I keep looking for ways to do this since I think clutter is the most noticeable problem for my weary eyes. How do I clear the clutter from below this box (the stuff from "Post Options" down through all those emoticons. I also would remove anything that moves (like the emoticon with rolling eyeballs). The toughest thing about reading stuff on the web is when things are fluttering on the screen. (Feels like those visuals people get when a migraine is coming.)

#20 Lee Adler

Lee Adler

Editor and Publisher

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 234,265 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

Thomas- For more convenient posting, DO NOT use the ADD REPLY button. Use Fast Reply at the bottom of the page. Its response time is virtually instantaneous. It is always open by default unless you change it in your control panel, and the Add Reply button is conveniently place just below the typing area.

Here's another tip. When you are finished typing just hit TAB then ENTER on your keyboard and VOILA!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Stock market portfolio giving you the runs? See Dr. Stool.
The Daily Stool - Stock Market Message Board
Stool's Gold- Gold and Precious Metals Forum
Look Out Below Message Board

The Al E. Greenspeuman designer line at Stoolmart. Get yours today! Click here now!
Get Mugged!